Friday, February 5, 2010

Happy Birthday Current!

The Crowd from above

Q: So what does spending almost an entire Friday in front of a computer hitting the "refresh" button get you?

A: Four member pre-sale tickets to 89.3 The Current's 5th Birthday Party at First Avenue.

WIN.

After being one of the hundreds of MPR members who helped crash First Ave's ticket-buying server during the member pre-sale, I persevered and basically sat by the computer all day to finally get my four glorious ($6 a piece) tickets to the local-music studded party that happened last week at First Avenue, celebrating five years of truly great music for the Twin Cities.

The lineup was The Twilight Hours, Lookbook, Mason Jennings, POS, and Solid Gold, all local acts that have been able, much in part because of the Current, to make it big outside the Cities. My favorites initially were Mason Jennings and POS, but I also really enjoyed Lookbook's synth-pop airyness and their singer's visceral wails, which I'm sure reminded most people there, myself included, of Karen O's signature sound-offs in the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. 

Here are some pics of the shindig, which also featured free catered food from Red Stag Supper Club (free oysters, I kid you not), Solera, and other TC foodie staples.


Nick and Jane with their "Mason Jennings is on stage!" faces on




Mason!

POS
    
Mayors RT Rybak and Chris Coleman showed up
Here's to you, Current!  -K

2 comments:

Unknown said...

No space in the blog for an anti-douchy concert-goers rant?

K said...

Nah, I figured I'd keep it positive, leave out the details about jerks who can't have fun without ruining the experience for everyone else... oh wait, I guess I just said it... haha.