Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A Halloween Retrospective: I Was An Embarrassing Child

With the approach of my favorite holiday next week, I've been thinking back on some of my greatest and not so great Halloweens. Costumes, parties, and mishaps - there have been some interesting times...



I was an embarrassing kid. God bless my mother, she let me be my own person, but I bet I would've saved myself a whole lot of grief as a kid by not "being myself" so much. Halloween is a great example. While I had my share of "normal" costumes, a great many of my costumes as a kid were super creative, but SUPER weird to my peers at the same time. You, fortunate reader, now get to travel with me on my costume-retrospective and relive the best with me.

1. Costume: Clown
The first Halloween I remember, I was about 2 years old. We lived in Duluth and yes indeed, it was the year of the infamous Halloween blizzard that shut down the entire city, except for trick-or-treaters, of course. I remember sitting in the front hall, helping hand out candy, and my mother making me get back when she opened the door because everytime she did about four feet of snow would fall into the house.
2. Cotume: Cowgirl
We had just moved to South Carolina, and I was five. Northern blood be damned, I decided to flex my Southern side. Haphazard as my costumes were, I couldn't even do it well, and I wore my mom's Australian outback hat because we didn't have an actual cowboy hat. I was a cowgirl with a Crocodile Dundee hat. AWESOME.
3. Costume: Princess
The days of dress-up meant that frilly dresses (which I absolutely REFUSED to wear otherwise) abounded, and I was a princess, complete with aluminum-foil crown.
4. Costume: Pocahontas
All political correctness and the fact that I was a blonde girl aside, this was an awesome costume. I had real moccassins, I won an apple-bobbing contest because as the rest of the kids dunked their faces in water I figured out that you can bite the stem, and my mom (very poorly) braided my hair.
5.Costume: Clown
Odd, because to this day I am absolutely terrified of clowns, like TERRIFIED of them. Yet, this was the second time (per my mother's idea) that I was one for Halloween.
6.Costume: Mariah Carey
Yes, that is not mistaken. I loved singing, like really loved it, and the thing that first got me into it was Mariah. Laugh all you want. This was one of my most embarrassing costumes, and it didn't help that I had just moved to the hostile city of Columbia, Missouri where kids were mean and, if you put your hair in a side ponytail and hand-decorated a cardboard "MARIAH" on your belt with glitter, they were even meaner.
7. Costume: Gabrielle from Xena Warrior Princess
In fifth-grade I was an Amazon woman from a Kiwi TV-show who ended up being a lesbian. You can just infer the peer-torment here.


8.Costume: Mad Scientist
In sixth-grade, I was obsessed with wanting to be a scientist, so I had a lab coat, a beaker, and unfortunately for my field of vision, my Uncle's coke-bottle glasses. I fell off the front porch. Twice.



9.Costume: Twin
Incredibly lame, but I loved my best friend, and we had matching shirts.
10. Costume: Pink Lady
My friend Paige and I volunteered at the city's Halloween charity carnival and the highlight of the evening was when an older guy thought we drove ourselves there. Age 13.
11. Costume: Hippie
Thanks to my mom, who didn't throw away some of her best shirts from the 70's, this was a repeat costume whenever I didn't have a better idea. So pretty much all of highschool....
12. Costume: Panther
My first year of college, two of my best friends and I all went as big cats. Kate was a leopard, Rachel was a lion, and I was a panther. I got pissed because everyone (legitimately) thought I was a black cat all night.
13. Costume: Dr. Frankenfurter from Rocky Horror Picture Show
Is it weird that the sluttiest costume I ever had was when I dressed up as a guy? Oddly enough, I found out that my boyfriend was also Dr. Frank one year.


14. Costume: Eliott Reid from Scrubs
I'll admit it, I'm obsessed. It was fun getting to run around all night saying "frick" and blowing my bangs out of my face though.


So there you have it- some of the best costumes I've had, and some of the worst. Expect a post soon about this year's costume (or costumes!) and see if I've yet to out-embarrass myself.

-K

0 comments: