Saturday, October 10, 2009

I Love Going to Hell



 Why, yes, that is a knife-chandelier...

Most people would think I'm mad and/or a depressed person when I say that Friday morning breakfast was the best part of my entire week, but for those of you who have ever sank your chops into the food at Hell's Kitchen, you know where I'm coming from.

Hell's Kitchen, in downtown Minneapolis, I can honestly say is the best breakfast food in the entire world. Quite a statement? I think not. I know restaurant reviews are supposed to be critical and impartial, but when the mere menton of the restaurant sends me salivating, you know that isn't possible.

So what was on the plate this morning?

My Menu:

Hell's Kitchen Homemade Hot Cocoa
Mahnomin Porridge
Vegetable Benedict


Porridge that is "just right"

Each and every one of these items is a culinary dream come true. The mahnomin porridge, an incredibly decadent wild rice, hazlenut, blueberry, cranberry, syrup, and whipping cream concoction is constantly where I get to say "I told you so," to everyone I've ever been to Hell's Kitchen with; somehow they don't believe that they'll want their own whole cup, and think they'll be fine having a bite of mine - they are ALWAYS wrong. (Note: Kellen, dear boy, actually took my advice and got his own porridge even before tasting it - he's a keeper.)


Benedict-o-licious

The benedict, a fat-loving vegetarian's dream, is sourdough bread, tomato, red pepper, poached egg, house sweet cream hollandaise sauce, chives, and eggplant, and is INCREDIBLE. I've hopped around at Hell's, but I always come back to this dish.

Other dishes of note:

-Bison Benedict (my Montanan father gave this bison brekky the thumbs up, it has a nice spin on the hollandaise: tangerine-jalapeno style)

-Huevos Rancheros, the restaurant's most popular breakfast dish, and my mother's favorite

-Lemon-Ricotta Hotcakes, um YUM

-House Bloody Mary, the traditional worcestershire, tabasco, horseradish, tomato juice, with sweetened ginger puree and a shrimp garnish


Lemon-ricotta hotcakes

ALSO: If you're already a Hell's fan and want to flex your culinary muscles, Mitch Omer, head chef and creator of Hell's just came out with "Damn Good Food," a Hell's Kitchen recipe book, which has how-to's for all Hell's greatest foods, drinks, and baked goods, plus the story of Mitch's crazy life alongside the culinary goodness. (I already picked up my copy while at breakfast, and I can't wait to attempt some of the meals myself!)

I really can't say enough about this wonderful food. Bland Minnesota palates beware - you've been rocked! But, in the immortal words of Levar Burton: well, don't just take my word for it, go see for yourselves!

For the info, reservations, and cookbook: Hell's Kitchen Minneapolis.

-K

0 comments: