Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Liu Bolin: A Real-Life "Where's Waldo"

For some people (like myself) who aren't gifted in the visual arts department, great displays of artistic creativity can be frustrating and intimidating. Not for me! Today, I discovered this man, Liu Bolin, a Chinese visual/performance artist who makes himself practically invisible simply by painting his body. That's right, no photoshop, no digital effects, he just paints himself and stands in front of something. Amazing.

The idea of "art" being something that makes its name by blending in rather than standing out is unique and actually refreshing. I think subtlety is highly under-utilized in visual art, and something that doesn't scream "look at me!" but instead sort-of taunts "see if you can find me," is infinitely more compelling. 

Here are some of my favorite Liu Bolin pieces:













If as intrigued as I am, there are many more examples of his work, just Google Liu Bolin to see more!

-K

0 comments: